Monday, April 19, 2010

Mystery Tulips

I've been waiting with eager anticipation to see how the minimal landscaping I put in last year will turn out this year. I planted a lot of bulbs and transplanted peonies and ripped up about eight tons of other crud that was just plain irritating.

It's a lot of fun, a year later, especially since, as I may have mentioned before, I have the memory of a goldfish. I really have no idea what's out there now.

Except...there were a few things I was really excited about growing and what's blooming is ... not them. I like weird things, like giant globe alliums that remind me of clovers on steroids (with blooms like a foot in diameter) and exotic tiger's eye lillies. I like things that have strange and interesting foliage. My favorite things are unusual. Why put effort into things that are normal?

So you understand: I did not plant plain pink tulips. I did not ask for plain pink tulips. I don't know how they got there.

I don't think they were there last year. Were they?

Someone, please explain.


Hey, tulip invaders. You see that shadow? It's me. Not tiptoeing. Looming.

No comments:

Post a Comment