Saturday, August 20, 2011

Trading Up

P and I made the drive down the John F Kennedy International Airport this afternoon to pick up our long lost teenage girl.

I can't say how proud I am of the way HC handled the incredible opportunity she earned, studying Shakespeare for three weeks at Wadham College in Oxford. As she emerged from the crowd of other travelers at the arrivals deck of the British Airways terminal, I couldn't help but notice how confident she looked, how beautiful, how calm.

Our drive home (via a much needed pizza stop) was filled of HC's lively descriptions of the fun and education packed weeks. It sounds like she had a blast. She's really come into her own.

Half an hour before we got home, I turned to look at the back seat. There were my two girl, both slumped toward opposite windows, sound asleep. One, wearing a onesie and pink tutu, holding a puppet in her hand. The other wore her brand new rugby shirt emblazoned with the prestigious Oxford crest, and held a cell phone in her hand.

Not too different, really. Just trading up.

No comments:

Post a Comment